De Kalb is a town in St. Lawrence County, New York, USA. Our population was 2,434 at the 2010 census. The town is named after American general Baron de Kalb, a German officer serving under George Washington.
The Town of De Kalb is in the southwest part of the county and is southwest of the Village of Canton.
Settlement began in June 1803 when the first settlement party arrived, led by Judge William Cooper of Cooperstown, New York.
The town was organized in 1806. De Kalb was one of the original ten towns of the county. In 1825, the part of De Kalb North West of Beaver Creek was taken to be part of the Town of De Peyster. In 1830, the Southeastern corner of De Kalb was made part of the Town of Hermon.